- Date of birth, July 14,1921.
- Only child of Jonas and Gussie.
- Married to Elaine Gottfried, December 22, 1939.
- Marriage annulled July 21, 1941.
- Enlisted in US Army Airforce, December 18, 1941.
- Separated from military, November 14, 1945 (Honorable Discharge).
- Married to Ruth, December 25, 1946 - Ruth was tall and beautiful. She was believed to be an active Communist.
- Marriage annulled approximately one year later.
- Disappeared from the family 1954. (1954 through 1979.)
- His mother Gussie, died in 1977.
- Gerry reappears in 1979 - Married with no children, living in Ohio and running a small business.
- Gerry has Jonas move to Ohio to live with him. Gerry takes over the affairs of his father Jonas, including establishing joint Ohio based bank accounts for his father's money. It does not work out in Ohio and Jonas moves back to his apartment in New York. From that time forward Gerry takes care of Jonas's affairs from Ohio. Jonas does not give up his apartment when he establishes residence in an adult care facility. All bills are paid from Ohio.
- Gerry dies in 1983 - No interruption in payment of Jonas's bills.
- Jonas dies in 1986 at age 92, not knowing his son predeceased him.
- My Mom is last of her generation and takes over Jonas's affairs in New York.
- Letters, pictures and other material found as part of Jonas's effects.
Jonas was a dapper man who worked in the garment industry. Rumor has it that he was a ladies man and control freak. As I recall, my Mom hinted that Jonas was occasionally abusive to Gussie.
Gussie's home was off limits to dust and dirt. When we visited we were not allowed to go into the living room. She had covers over the furniture. Heavy drapes were on the windows to prevent the sun from fading the rugs and other material. Gussie was also a hypochondriac.
I was told by a second cousin Gerry's 25 year disappearance was due to legal problems. This cousin said Gerry got in trouble with the Mafia. The rumor had it that Gerry was forced to take a 10 year rap for a crime he did not commit, to pay off loans he had. I have no proof of this. I have some correspondence showing Gerry owed taxes on a bar he owned in Manhattan. I also have a mug shot of Gerry dating from the 1950's.
To give credit where credit is due, Gerry took care of his father when he reappeared. (Even though it was with his father's money.) Gerry also made sure that if he died, Jonas was to be cared for. I met Gerry's last wife. She was a very nice woman who became close to my mother, telephoning many times. Maybe it was Gerry's wife who had a good heart and made sure Jonas was taken care of.
Insight into Gerry -